1.26.2009

Where are you time?

Have you noticed that my 'currently reading' book has been the same for a while now. Well I certainly have, and although the book is good I find that I can only read 3-5 pages a day. It's really sad to only have a tiny amount of time to read a good book. But I am just reading alot for school, my classes are mostly just reading and I am pretty sure I could pass if I never attended another class period.

This semester I am taking three classes, yes I know I said I was only going to take two.. but I just couldn't do it, it seems so minimal to take only two. So I was 'guilted' by myself into taking three.

Class One: Management Information Systems. Don't know what that is? Think of automation of simple tasks, ATM machines, assembly lines. Not really very hard but interesting to think of the world in a different light. We are always talking about how many jobs are being shipped overseas, but did you know that with automation we have eliminated alot of jobs as well, in fact the teacher says that a worker now can do twice as much as a worker pre-automation. So that is one less worker needed to complete a job.

Today we spent the day talking about products and their life cycles, my team came up with "bottled water", the teacher said, "yes, take a soda, remove everything good about it, sugar, color, carbonation, taste.. and you have a bottle of nothing but water.." Will people choose to buy water over just using a perfectly operational water fountain, will you spend $1.50 at a vending machine to get a plastic bottle of water that you could get for free at the water fountain right next to the vending machine. Seems like a pretty risky investment.

Class Two: Marketing. An interesting course, I mean we all see marketing on TV, internet, food items, ads. But there is alot of thought that goes into marketing, alot of demographics and psycology. And what makes an ad a good ad, who is the target market. Plus an awesome teacher who seems like he really knows his stuff and can keep class entertaining.

Today we watched a video on movie pirating, and is it illegal? Who is responsible? Should the movie industry think of online video exchange as a new way to reach their audience instead of a hit to their profits. Is there a way to market online movies directly from the industry at a profit? Really alot of brainstorming, and after thinking about it, I think that this is a good opportunity for the industry to grow and change for the better.

Class Three: Cost Accounting. What is it? Heck if I know. I honestly don't know. I read the book, then do the assignments and I still have no idea what is going on. It's really my BS class but I sure hope it all comes together soon!

I have this class once a week and we are currently discussing job costing, which is how to allocate the overhead costs such as electricity, secretarial, and office supplies to a job or product. Say it costs me $40 in materials to build a calculator, but $40 does not include the labor, electricity, the person who took the order in the first place.. so all those somewhat random costs need to be included in the price of the calculator - hence JOB costing, what is the cost of the job which is taking place.

Between all that and trying to keep up around the house, I really have not much time. Actually to be totally honest, my whole dining room table is covered with C-R-A-P! I have no idea what all is there or when I will ever get time to clean it off. I just watch it multiply.

Then I have Adrianne who has entered the Dramatic Three's, she gets mad and throws herself to the floor kicking and screaming.. lovely.

Oh and don't forget Miss. Alexa who cannot do ANYTHING unless someone is within her sight. Driving me bananas, and she took the scissors and cut a chunk of her hair off. All that because she was mad I wouldn't let her watch Handy Manny...

Where did these monsters come from? I guess it's just big changes all around, and sometimes we don't all get the attention we want. Well I'm off to bed now, I've finally finished the Coffee Lounge's year end reports, yay! One task to mark off the list *if I could find the list*

No comments: