11.12.2008

A Big Day at the House of 'A'

We got up really early today, just after 8am.. It was nice, we were all in bed before 10:30pm last night so I guess early to bed, early to rise.

With getting up early comes more time for those daunting responsibilities.. (which I will start right after I blog, I mean some things are just more important!)

Alexa and I have been looking for a class for her to take (some kind of dance or gymnastics), I want her to have some time with other kids - AKA not her sister - before she heads off to kindergarten in the fall. I remember when I was little and I first went to kindergarten it was horrible. What a nightmare experience. I don't want that for her, I feel she should atleast have some adjustment time before I throw her to the wolves.

I chose not to put her in preschool this year. At the time of sign-ups she was a very shy and timid little lady, not speaking to people who addressed her and not wanting to make eye contact with new people.

However, in the last 4-5 months since she turned 4, she has turned into a different girl. I see alot of new interests and the desire to learn really emerging in her. Which I love! She is really interested in computer games, trying to do things for herself, playing with other kids, being more athletic, and she even spends time entertaining herself. What a different little girl.

How did she suddenly change so quickly? She is talking like crazy, making up stories, and pretending like never before!

So we have agreed that she will take gymnastics, which she calls 'nastics'. She has been asking me if nastics is 'tomorrow' for the last week, ever since we went to sign her up and she saw the other girls tumbling and swinging from the bars. (It's actually gotten quite annoying.. haha)

Today I called and officially put her in a Monday class, this being a day when we usually don't have anything else going on so hopefully if she gets anxious we will develop a good routine to calm her. Although she says she really wants to go and I told her that sissy and I will only be watching.

She has came up with some interesting questions, such as, "I can't hang from the bars, I'm too small." and "I don't know how to do tumbling.." I just keep telling her that she will need to listen to the teacher and she will learn how to do all the fun nastics.. (I hope I am answering her in a way she understands).

In addition to this, she has done really awesome at Sunday school (no doubt thanks to MC!). Last week she didn't even stop to give me a hug, she saw playdough and immediatly found a seat amongst the other girls, never looking back or even giving me a moment to let her grow into the little lady she is becoming.

Then after her 'school' she came to me and said, "mom, you forgot my hug." (something I can imagine me saying to my own mom.) And I said, "no, you forgot mommies hug because you wanted to play with the playdough.. did you cry?" and she said, "nope, I had fun." to which I mumbled, "well, you almost made mommy cry!" Little stinker.

So in these times of big change I just try to watch and guide her from afar. She is somewhat of a late bloomer in the personality department, so I will enjoy watching her truely immerge as a little lady.

Alexa - September 2008

No comments: