10.03.2011

Kindergarten and Second Grade!

The kiddos are in school all day now, wow!  (They were in school all day last year too, but this year they are at the SAME school - which is huge!)  Alexa is doing well, she likes her teacher and she seems to be learning.  She comes home with homework, a lot of homework.  Her teacher taught 3rd grade last year and I think she really pushes the kids to do their best and stretch their imaginations.  It's been a little challenging but I like that Alexa is being challenged (her homework last year took her less than 5 minutes to complete and was pretty much a no-brainer).

Adrianne is adjusting, I am still helping her out in the morning but she is getting better and make a TON of friends.  That kid is a friend magnet - we have had many playdate requests already.  I love spending time in her classroom and getting to know all the others kids, which is challenging because 1/2 the kids names start with either an 'A' or a 'B'...  like Aiden, Braden, Alexys, there is even an Adrianna..  yikes!  I could not believe it, I don't know how the teacher keeps them all straight.  Adrianne is not getting any homework - which drives me bonkers!  I give her challenging worksheets everyday after school, and we always add in time for reading.  Her class this year is working on Heart words, which are words they should know by heart - she knows most of them..  and they are learning their ABC's in sign language - which she also knows as she learned them all at Kidspace (LOVE that place).  So I'm not sure how much she is currently being challenged, but I am Super confident that her teacher (who taught 2nd grade last year) is going to push her as far as she can..  which I LOVE.  They already told me that her first of the year assessment put her at the top of the entire kindergarten class, WOW!  (and considering she lost a lot of reading words while in the Philippines, I am very proud of her).

Alexa is taking her time to meet new friends.  She said that she still plays with her friends from last year and hasn't made any new friends from her classroom.  Although the other day she did say that she spent the entire recess talking to a 'girl who I forgot her name' and she was proud of herself for talking to someone new :)  She has also started back with her Girl Scout troop so she will be making some new friends there.  We even let her friend come over for a playdate - which has never happened before.  It was fun, I'm hoping we can do it again.

Adrianne informed me this morning, much to my SHOCK, that, "Yesterday when I was getting my backpack, Braden held my hand..."  OMG, WHAT?!?!  NO way child, my hand is the only hand you will be holding for the next 12 to 15 years - no exceptions!  It was all I could do to refrain from saying, "Which BOY.. Show me him NOW!"  LOL.  But I am biased because I am still attached to her little romance that she had with Hayden at Kidspace - he was the cutest kid ever, he's totally going to be a heart-breaker, and I've always wanted a boy named Hayden...  so I could have a cute little son-in-law, someday..  (I guess you know I'll be having a hard time with getting attached to the BF's later on..)

Everything else is going well, I've been doing awesome (well I have a sore throat at the minute, but still).  In fact I am so looking forward to the holiday season I'm excited to spend it happy and joyful this year.  Lets keep the good times rolling :)   It's so much nicer to feel happy and content instead of always worried and uncomfortable.  My world is in a good place, may is stay there for the long run!

2 comments:

Sheri said...

Sounds like you're all of to the perfect start! :)

Melanie said...

This is all GREAT news! Well, except the boy holding Adrianne's hand (even though I think it's cute!). :)