10.06.2011

Ahh, the joys of a volunteer... take two.

So I took my not feeling so wonderful self to Alexa's school on Wednesday to help out her teacher.  She had a huge stack of papers with some simple instructions - or at least they seemed simple on the outside.  The first one was to sharpen some pencils (of which I am 99% sure that it said to bring SHARPENED pencils on the school supply list..) so I head off to the office to sharpen pencils.. with a pencil sharpener that doesn't sharpen..  Seriously when I want a sharp pencil, I want a SHARP pencil..  not a dull nubby one.  However I realize this may be beneficial in those classrooms where students try to use their pencils as a weapon to inflict harm on one another.  So 55 dull pencils later and I am on to task two..

Which is making two sets of booklets for the kiddos.  Seems easy enough, the teacher wanted a cardstock cover and back because they will be adding to the booklets and they need to be sturdy..  Doesn't seem like a challenge does it?  Well think again.  The paper "room" at the school is out of paper, we're talking those teachers are lucky that they get white paper.  In addition to that it says right on the copier that you cannot put colored paper into the copier.  Well shoot.

So what is a mom to do, I take the project home and raid my cardstock pile - which yes I have an abundance and 80 sheets is not going to put a dent in my collection.  When I was finished my office looked like this:


I seriously think that volunteer work is more work than regular work.  For one thing the reason they need volunteers is because they have no money, and no money means no supplies.

In addition to that, a teacher complained that I was "hogging" the copy machine..  then walked off in a huff.  Seriously I didn't know there was copy machine etiquette, I thought it was first come, first serve...  And second this teacher should have simply said, "I really need to make this one copy real quick."  I would have been more than happy to move over, but the attitude was just ridiculous.

Then I was caught by the PTO, who apparently have decided that the treasurer needs replacing due to having too many other commitments..  so guess who is the new treasurer?  Yup, me.  I hope it will look nice on my resume :)

I am saying no from here on out to anything else that comes my way.  Maybe in the new year I will accept additional responsibilities but I need to see how I do with the ones I've got first.

And today, I am in pain.  I skipped class, which I probably shouldn't have.  But I would have been a distracted blob of jelly anyways.  I've been googling joint pain trying to figure out what is wrong with me.  Every one of my joints hurts, from my fingers, to my spine, to my knees...  and hurts like a 7 on the 1 to 10 scale.  As if someone injected acid in each joint..  I have been popping 6 to 8 Tylenol daily for the last week.  I know it is partly due to the rain, as I only had a few days of pain over the summer.  But I can't be giving all my money to Tylenol which only dulls the pain a notch or two.

So thankfully I FINALLY got my student loan approved, and we will have money again - YAY!  Too bad I have to start paying it back in February - boooo!  But I am going to the dr. tomorrow and I hope to good gracious that something can be done about this semi-chronic pain.  It's so draining.

2 comments:

Sheri said...

Sorry the weather, or whatever it is, is causing you to feel crummy. I hope dr helped you feel better. But, WAY TO GO with the volunteer work. Heh, who knows ... treasurer this year ... some day, President!!! ;)

Keri said...

Well I for one am glad you were caught by the pto. I hope you have enjoyed the time we have had so far and hope you continue to enjoy our little crazy house. Not just for resume purposes ;)